ZocdocAnswersHow can I achieve my ideal body weight?

Question

How can I achieve my ideal body weight?

I have always been thin but never fit. How can I lose the last few pounds? I am still young. 22 and female.

Answer

Achieving a healthy body weight is one of the most important and advisable goals. I congratulate you one recognizing the importance of this. I would recommend discussing this with your primary care doctor. He or she may provide you with information on who to achieve a healthy weight. Firstly, it is important to identify what you ideal weight is. There are many ways to identify your ideal body weight -- but the most common is identifying your Body Mass Index (BMI). This is calculated based on your height and weight -- I would recommend calculating your BMI (use an online calculator). A BMI between 18.5 and 23 is ideal. But beyond your actual weight it is important to be "fit and healthy." Talking with your primary care doctor to identify an appropriate goal is important. There is a risk of being to thin, so identifying the appropriate goal is important. As to how to lose the last few pounds -- these are often the hardest. That being said the fundamentals of losing weight are simple -- you need to eat less energy than you expend. Eating less and exercising more is the key. Seeing your doctor to identify a good diet plan -- possibly with a referral to a dietician -- would be advisable. Good luck!