ZocdocAnswersHow can I maintain my ideal body weight?

Question

How can I maintain my ideal body weight?

Finally I am the weight I want to be. Now how can I stay here?? I am a 28 eyar old male and I've been working toward this for two years, but in the past I have always yoyoed.

Answer

First of all, congratulations on successfully losing weight and getting to where you want to be! This is a great achievement. The secret to maintaining a healthy weight involves regular healthy eating habits for the rest of your life. This includes using fats and sweets sparingly and eating small, frequent balanced meals. You may wish to talk to a nutritionist, if you have never done so, as they will be able to give you some good strategies on how to do this. Second, you need to engage in regular exercise. Healthy eating without exercise alone is not usually enough to maintain a healthy weight. Also, exercise is very important for heart health independent of your weight. The recommendations are that you should exercise at least 30-60 minutes on most days of the week. The form of exercise you choose should be aerobic, meaning that it should raise your heart rate and make you sweat. Form of exercise that are not aerobic (such as weight lifting) do not have the same good effect. As always, please talk to your primary care doctor for more information. He or she is well qualified to discuss these issues with you.