ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of insulin resistance?

Question

What are the symptoms of insulin resistance?

I think I may have insulin resistance. Could you tell me about the symptoms?

Answer

Insulin resistance is a phenomenon in which the tissues in the body gradually become less sensitive to the effects of insulin, meaning that they are less able to remove sugar from the blood. Insulin levels rise and blood sugar levels begin to creep up. Insulin resistance is usually a part of what is known as the metabolic syndrome, which is a syndrome that increases an individuals risk of developing diabetes and heart disease down the road. The symptoms of the metabolic syndrome include being obese or overweight, having high blood pressure, having high blood sugar levels, and having alterations in the levels of fats in the blood. The metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance is usually diagnosed by your primary care doctor at a physical examination session. Usually the check blood work after noticing that you are overweight or that you have high blood pressure or a family history of heart problems or diabetes. They then find elevations in your cholesterol or sugar. If this has happened to you, this syndrome puts you at greater overall health risks. You will need to talk to your doctor about a good diet and exercise program, as well as potentially medications to control your blood pressure or your cholesterol.