ZocdocAnswersDo integrative medications help one focus more?

Question

Do integrative medications help one focus more?

I'm 29 and very frequently have trouble concentrating. Should I use integrative medications? Do I have ADD?

Answer

Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder (or ADHD also known as ADD) is a common condition among children. Less commonly, this condition persists in adulthood. That being said, if you do have ADHD there are some medications that are available to help your situation. I would recommend that you discuss this with your primary care doctor. If necessary, he or she may refer you to a psychiatrist (a mental health specialist) who can also help with this conditions diagnosis and treatment. Firstly, ADHD is a disorder where there is a neurodevelopmental problem that results in hyperactivity and/or inattentiveness (often both together). By definition, symptoms must begin before age seven. Therefore if you have recently had troubles, this is NOT ADHD. In addition, you must have these symptoms in multiple setting. For example, you cannot just have it at work but also in other locations like social situations etc. As far as treatment, there are some medication for ADHD, but quite honestly the data on how effective they are in a person your age are unclear. As such, discussing with a trained professional is important. As far as integrative medicine, there is no data to suggest this works. As such, I would recommend deferring any treatment until a clear diagnosis is made. Talk to your doctor.