Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What kind of treatment is best for skin discoloration caused by moderate acne?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of treatment is best for skin discoloration caused by moderate acne?


29 year old female with frequent breakouts that discolor my skin for months. Currently on Yazmin...nothing else.


The skin discoloration that you are describing is something called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. This is actually a normal healing reaction of the skin that occurs after inflammation or infection, such as acne. Essentially what happens is that blood vessels and pigmented cells multiply in the area, leading to discoloration. Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation does not need to be treated, as it will gradually smooth out and fade over weeks to months. What you do need to do is fix the root cause of the post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, which is the continuing acne break outs. If you do not have a daily acne care routine, you should start one. This could include, initially, a daily facial wash with a good facial soap, followed by the application of an over the counter acne care product containing either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. If this does not work for you, then you should see either your dermatologist or your primary care doctor. They will be able to indicate a more aggressive acne care regimen, which could include prescription strength benzoyl peroxide, topical or oral antibiotics, and other medications. With the help of your doctor, you should be able to get this acne under control!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.