ZocdocAnswersI just got my period again! Third time in seven weeks! Should I be concerned?

Question

I just got my period again! Third time in seven weeks! Should I be concerned?

I'm 23 and for the most part has had regular periods. The first time it was a little more spotty than regular and the next time the period was longer than usual (8 days as opposed to 4-5.

Answer

I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor to have this evaluated. In addition, if you have an OB/GYN you could see him or her as well. This could be a sign of a serious and possibly life threatening medical condition. There are also minor causes, but some which would require urgent evaluation and therefore the suggestion to see your doctor stands. If you begin to feel abdominal pain, lightheadedness or have severe bleeding I would recommend proceeding to the emergency room to have this evaluated. As for what could be causing this, there are a few serious conditions that should be ruled out. First, pregnancy is a possibility to consider. A pregnancy can potentially be spontaneously aborted and cause this bleeding you describe -- you should be evaluated if this is the case. In addition, if the pregnancy is in an abnormal location (ectopic pregnancy) which can also be life threatening. There are other causes to consider. Vaginal, uterine or cervical lacerations can cause this. Cervical polyps can bleed. There can also be causes of "thin" blood such as thrombocytopenia (low platelets) or other problems with clotting (known as a coagulopathy) that should be evaluated. Finally various hormonal changes can cause this. Please see your doctor to discuss further.