ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should I see about head fog?

Question

What kind of doctor should I see about head fog?

I'm thinking it could be lyme disease as I've been a hiker for quite some time.

Answer

I am not entirely sure what you mean by 'head fog.' If you mean that you are fatigued, tired, having trouble concentrating, or similar symptoms like this, then these could be caused by a whole range of medical conditions. You will need to talk to your primary care doctor to help you figure it out. Lyme disease is a condition caused by a bacteria that is transmitted in the bite of certain ticks. It is common throughout much of the United States, and definitely those who are outdoors in the woods are at higher risk. In early phases of untreated Lyme disease, common neurological symptoms can be trouble with gait or coordination, nerve pain, and numbness and tingling in certain nerve distributions. In late untreated Lyme disease, some of the forgetfulness symptoms can emerge. However, there are usually other symptoms at the same time, such as arthritis. I think you should start by setting up an appointment with your primary care doctor. A thorough physical examination is needed to figure out why you have these symptoms. Causes could include Lyme disease, but there are many other more common medical conditions that would need to be considered at the same time.