ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should is see about nose pain?

Question

What kind of doctor should is see about nose pain?

I'm a 59 year old grandmother with sinus problems, I have been check for allergies and was told I haven't any. But certain smells sent my sinus in to orbit and I get instant stuffiness and pain across my nose and sometimes my face?

Answer

You should definitely see your primary care doctor about this. If you have sinus congestion or head pain that is concentrated in the forehead or cheeks, or if you have drainage into the back of your throat and cough, then these could be symptoms of full sinuses or a sinus infection. Your doctor will be able to take a look inside your nose and throat and help make this diagnosis. If it turns out to be a problem with sinus congestion, then there are many treatments you can use which are quite effective. These may include nasal decongestant sprays or nasal steroid sprays, as prescribed by your doctor. If there is any evidence of a sinus infection your doctor may also prescribe an antibiotic. Final nasal saline washes, using the Nettipot or similar system purchases from your pharmacy, can be highly effective and clearing out the sinuses. If there is no evidence of sinus congestion on your physical exam, then your doctor will consider other possible cause. The association with smell triggers and well as the sudden stuffiness and pain suggests that an alternative may be a different headache syndrome, such as a cluster headache, or nerve problem, such as trigeminal neuralgia.