ZocdocAnswersWhat can cause red spots in the skin?

Question

What can cause red spots in the skin?

Red internal spots in my abdomen and back, I am 20 years old, I also have pollen allergies. The red spots appeared two days ago.

Answer

There are many potential causes of these red spots. Given the fact that you have allergies already, one possibility would be an allergic reaction of the skin, known as hives (or urticaria, which is the technical medical word). Hives occur when sensitized cells in the skin release allergy response chemicals, leading to raised red areas that tend to be very itchy and to come and go. The immediate symptoms can be controlled with an over the counter anti histamine medication like diphenhydramine (Benadryl is the brand name), but you should also get this checked out be a doctor to make sure you don't need any more extensive treatment. If you are having any trouble with catching your breath or with wheezing, this could be a sign of a more serious allergy reaction, and you would need to seek emergency medical attention. Another possibility would be eczema, which is an inflammation of the skin caused by dryness. It leads to itching and scaling redness of the skin, which can generally be treated with good skin moisturizing and with an over the counter steroid cream like hydrocortisone. I recommend going to see your primary care doctor, who can diagnose what is going on and help you figure out the right treatment.