Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What kind of doctor should I see for a knee injury?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should I see for a knee injury?


I'm 30 years old and in good health.


I would start by seeing your primary care doctor. It is hard to give more specific recommendations without knowing what type of knee injury you have sustained. Generally, however, most young people without medical problems who are your age will have minor over use injuries to their knees, generally related to running or another high impact physical activity. These types of injuries respond to rest and ice and anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naprosyn. In addition, your doctor may recommend stretching exercises or strengthening exercises, depending on what type of injury pattern you have. When you see your doctor, they will also be able to assess you for a more serious injury. If there is any evidence that you have torn or damaged a ligament or other stabilizing structure in the knee, they will likely refer you to see a sports medicine doctor or an orthopedic doctor for a more detailed workup. This workup could include additional imaging, such as an MRI, prior to any treatment recommendations. However, most injuries to the knee are not this serious, and so I still think your primary care doctor is where to begin, with the understanding that they will refer you on if that is needed.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.