Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What could be some causes of a high platelet count?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat could be some causes of a high platelet count?


i'm a 33 year old female. Platelets are 664 and I have a low vitamin d level at 21.9...I have never had a child, my form of exercise is a brisk walk or yoga twice a week plus pilates once a week. I have a well-balanced diet, avoiding white starches, sugars, etc...i'm generally healthy except for a very sore right hip for the past 4 months...i thought i injured my psoas or TFL from a pilates move. I've seen a body worker for the soreness but it is only relieved temporarily. I do not take any medication or oral contraceptives.


A high platelet count is called thrombocytosis. By definition, any platelet count over 450 thousand is considered to be high. However, only levels above 750 thousand are routinely worked up unless other concerning symptoms accompany the thrombocytosis.

See a doctor who can help

Find Primary care doctors near you

This is because slightly elevated platelet counts rarely cause any major problems, and they have many causes. Moderately high platelet counts such as yours sometimes means that another inflammatory disease or infection is ongoing. If you just got over a bad infection, your platelet count will be higher. Your sore right hip makes me a bit concerned for an inflammatory arthritis. If this is the case, then this could explain your high platelet count. If you get an other complete blood count drawn, and you platelet count is higher, then you may deserve a workup for primary thrombocytosis. Since a platelet count of 664 thousand does not suggest any particular diagnosis, I think you should first schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a look at the rest of your complete blood count to look for any other abnormalities. In addition, your doctor can order blood tests to look for other common causes of a mild elevation in platelet count. If something comes back positive, you may need referral to a specialist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.