ZocdocAnswersHow soon after intercourse can you take a beta hcg and get results?

Question

How soon after intercourse can you take a beta hcg and get results?

I had unprotected sex several times after my period recently. how soon can i take a beta hcg and get results? i am having abd discomfort and cramping.

Answer

The beta HCG test is the standard pregnancy test. It becomes positive between one week and two weeks after conception. Thus, by the time you read this, you will likely be able to take a pregnancy test and the results will be real. Your abdominal discomfort and cramping are concerning to me. If you are pregnant, these symptoms could be signs of an ectopic pregnancy. This is where the fertilized egg implants in a place other than the uterus. An ectopic pregnancy can be dangerous to your health and needs to be dealt with very quickly. I suggest that you first go to the grocery store and buy a home pregnancy test. These tests are fairly inexpensive and very sensitive. If the test is positive, then you need to schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. If you do not have access to such a test, then you should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician so that the test can be done in the office. If you are pregnant, then you need to have a pelvic ultrasound to make sure the fetus is in the uterus. If the pregnancy test is negative, then you primary care physician can help work up your symptoms of abdominal discomfort and cramping. Good luck.