ZocdocAnswersShould ballerinas use licensed massage therapists?

Question

Should ballerinas use licensed massage therapists?

Hello. I'm a 22 year old ballerina. I usually have my mom rub my sore muscles but am considering using a therapist. Are there therapists licensed just to work on feet?

Answer

Using a licensed massage therapist sounds like an excellent idea. In fact there are many ballet companies which have official massage therapists associated with them that provide services to their dancers. The benefits of massage include relaxation and a feeling of well being. They also may help to release tight muscles and sore spots. A licensed therapist will be a big improvement over having your mother do this! I don't say this to mean that your mother is not being helpful, but rather just that therapists are specifically trained to get the maximum benefit out of the massage. Especially if you choose a massage therapist that has a lot of experience working with athletes and dancers, you should be quite pleased with the results. Although there are no therapists who specifically focus on the feet, any licensed therapist should be quite capable of providing focused work there. You should see your primary care doctor if the soreness or pain you have seems out of proportion or not improving over time. You should also see your doctor if you experience any weakness in any muscles, any numbness or tingling, or any other concerning symptoms, as these could be signs of a more serious injury.