ZocdocAnswersWhat causes someone to have low blood sugar?

Question

What causes someone to have low blood sugar?

I fainted and it was due to low blood sugar. I am 22 and this has never happened to me. Why did it happen?

Answer

Having a truly "low blood sugar" that causes fainting is actually a fairly rare medical problem. On the other hand, it is a quite common popular explanation for fainting, but most of these cases of fainting are actually due to other reasons, such as pooling of the blood in the legs. Therefore, unless you were actually diagnosed with a blood test with low blood sugar, I would not assume this is necessarily what is going on. Low blood sugar almost always occurs in people who are diabetic and taking medicines to lower the blood sugar. There are also some rarer medical conditions which can cause it. Regardless of whether the cause of your fainting was low blood sugar or not, it is worthwhile for you to discuss this problem with your primary care doctor. They will be able to perform a complete physical examination and ask some detailed questions about the incident. After doing this, they will be able to help you determine whether there is any evidence of a serious medical problem, which is unlikely, requiring workup. Also, depending on the probably cause, they will also be able to help counsel you on how to prevent these episodes in the future