ZocdocAnswersShould someone with heart disease go on a low stout diet?

Question

Should someone with heart disease go on a low stout diet?

My uncle has heart disease and is considering different diets. Is low stout one he should look into?

Answer

Your uncle should definitely not pursue any version of a fad or popular diet. I am concerned by the phrase 'considering different diets' because this is what this suggests to me. Fad diets are not a healthy way to lose weight or to develop good eating habits. In fact, most people who go on fad diets just swap one set of bad eating habits for another and, while they may have initial weight loss, they tend to gain it back as these diets are simply not realistic over the long term. Additionally, in someone with heart problems a fad diet could be extremely dangerous. What is needed instead is a healthy, balanced diet that incorporates particular features that are important for those with heart disease, for example cholesterol intake and salt intake. Your uncle should talk to his cardiologist or primary care doctor about what these specific dietary recommendations or restrictions would be. Then, he should set up an appointment with a nutritionist. The nutritionist is knowledgeable about any dietary restrictions of various medical conditions. With this in mind, they will be able to make an over all assessment of his eating habits and nutritional needs and make some specific recommendations.