ZocdocAnswersCan major depression cause obesity?

Question

Can major depression cause obesity?

I have major depression and have gaind a lot of weight. I am a 28 eyar old woman. How can I stop gaining weight?

Answer

Major depression can cause many different symptoms. While changes in weight are not always seen, they can become a major issue. Patient's I have treated for major depression sometimes report weight loss or weight gain. This is because depression can cause an increase or decrease in your appetite. The first step to treating and increased appetite because of depression is to treat the depression itself. This means placing you on one of the anti-depressant medications such as an SSRI (examples include Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft). These medications have been shown to be very effective at treating major depression. If your depression improves on one of these medications, and your weight does not begin returning to normal, then I would look into placing you on a weight loss program. This may end up being necessary anyway because losing weight is always more difficult than putting it on. This is very important because being overweight can make your depression worse. I suggest that you schedule frequent visits with your primary care physician. He or she can monitor your mood and other symptoms of depression. If you are not improving, then your anti-depressant medication dose may need increased, or you may need an additional medication. After this is taken care of, the two of you can discuss strategies to lose weight.