ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of major depression?

Question

What are the symptoms of major depression?

I think I might have major depression. What symptoms should I look for? I am 24 and very sad.

Answer

Depression is a very common medical condition that effects millions of people each year. I would strongly recommend that you see your primary care physician to discuss you complaints. The feeling of sadness or depression alone is a cause for concern. If needed, your doctor may refer you to a psychiatrist (a depression specialist) who can assist with the many treatment that are available for depression. Depression can manifest as many different symptoms. Classically, we worry about SIGECAPS -- mnemonic of 8 symptoms. They are -- Sleep changes, loss of interest, feelings of GUILT, lack of Energy, lack of concentration, inability to pay Attention, psychomotor retardation (feeling like you can't move as much) and finally suicidal ideation or homidical ideation (that thought of hurting or killing yourself or someone else). If you have a few of these symptoms in addition to the feelings of sadness you may have Major Depressive Disorder or other depression disorders (like cyclothymia.). Talk to your doctor. Fortunately, depression can be treated. There are numerous medicines that have easily improve depressive symptoms. In addition, talk therapy -- that is talking to a psychologist or your primary care doctor -- can also help. These are important. If you have any thoughts of hurting yourself or someone else you must go immediately to the emergency room.