Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can a masseur do more for my back than a chiropracteor or an osteopath?"

ZocdocAnswersCan a masseur do more for my back than a chiropracteor or an osteopath?


Are they similar? Whats the difference?


These are all very different specialties. A licensed massage therapist is someone who has undergone specific training in how to massage the soft tissues of the body to promote health, health, relaxation, and well-being. Massage therapists receive basic training in anatomy and medical conditions, so they are very good at providing appropriate treatments without causing harm. Some massage therapy services are covered by insurance companies. An osteopath is a medical doctor who has gone to a medical school granting a D.O. degree rather than an M.D. degree. Most of the training is the same, although osteopath schools tend to have a stronger focus on primary care. They also have some special training in manipulation of joints and bones, much like a chiropractor would perform. Chiropractors are training in the manipulation of joints and bones. They do not perform massage like a massage therapist, but rather are focused on "alignment" of the skeletal system. You should talk to the doctor who knows you best (your primary care doctor) about what they would recommend for treating your back pain. Depending on the type of back pain you have, there may be some restrictions in terms of what kind of massage or other therapies you can have.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.