ZocdocAnswersIs a miscarriage a sign something is wrong with me?

Question

Is a miscarriage a sign something is wrong with me?

I am 22 and had a miscarriage. Is there something wrong with my reproductive system?

Answer

There are many conditions that can cause with miscarriages. Blood clotting disorders in the mother can cause miscarriages, structural problems with the mother's uterus can keep the fetus from being able to grow and stay attached, medications (or drugs) the mother has been taking or may have been taking before she got pregnant are all possibilities. Generally, though, miscarriages are common and are often idiopathic (no reason), and a SINGLE miscarriage is not so worrisome as to prompt a very aggressive search for many of the above problems. So most likely there is nothing wrong with your reproductive system. The best thing to do is to get an appointment with an obstetrician BEFORE you try to conceive again to review your health, medications, gynecologic history, and help to optimize your chances for reproductive success. If you have a second miscarriage, then your obstetrician may decide to pursue a further evaluation that will include imaging of your uterus, blood tests of your hormone levels, possibly some genetic tests. Hopefully this will not be the case, but, if so, there are treatments for of these conditions.