ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do to combat my morbid obesity?

Question

What can I do to combat my morbid obesity?

I need to lose weight. I can't put it off anymore. I am 26 and feel like life is passing me by. What can I do?

Answer

First of all congratulations on resolving to do something about your weight. Obtaining a healthy weight is one of the single most important things you can do to improve your over all health over the years to come. I would start by talking to your primary care doctor. As a big part of weight loss is regular exercise, they will be able to determine if you have any medical conditions which limit the types of exercise you can be allowed to participate in. If you do not, then the recommendation would be to participate in at least 30-60 minutes of aerobic exercise on most days of the week. Aerobic exercise would be types or exercise (such as walking, running, swimming) that raise your heart rate and make you sweat. In addition to regular exercise, you should see a nutritionist. They will be able to take an inventory of your normal eating habits and also your weight loss needs. Based on these observations, they will be able to make some concrete recommendations about how to proceed with healthy, balanced meals that contribute to weight loss. And please remember to talk more with your primary care doctor about healthy weight loss.