Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What can I do if I have MRSA?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do if I have MRSA?


I am a 28 year old male and have MRSA. What kind of treatments are available to fight this resistant problem?


MRSA stands for methicillin resistant staph aureus. It is a type of bacteria that has gained resistance to one of the commonly used classes of medications, the penicillin class. MRSA typically causes infection just beneath the skin, and often causes abscesses that need to be drained. The treatment for MRSA infections depend on what type of infection it is, and where the infection was acquired. I will give you some more details about that. If you have a soft tissue abscess just below the skin, then draining that abscess may be the only treatment necessary. If your the infection is also spread to areas outside of an abscess, then you will need anti-MRSA antibiotics. The choice of antibiotics depends on where you caught the infection. If you are not a health care worker, and you do not spend a significant part of your day at a hospital or nursing home, then you probably have community acquired MRSA. This is a bug that is easily treated with antibiotics such as doxycylcline or bactrim. If you caught the infection in a hospital, then you will need IV Vancomycin or oral Zyvox. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician so you can get this infection looked at and treated. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.