Are any treatments effective on MRSA?

Has anything been developed yet? I am traveling abroad and worried about what will happen if I get it.
MRSA stands for methicillin resistant staph aureus. It is the name given to a strain of staph aureus that is resistant to the classic penicillin type antibiotics that are effective against other forms of staph aureus. MRSA is sometimes that bug that is responsible for infections of the skin and tissue below that skin, and it has the ability to produce abscesses. If you get a cut or a puncture wound through the skin, sometimes MRSA can be responsible for the infection. MRSA is also found inside health care facilities such as hospitals and nursing homes. MRSA infections are common in the United States, and quite possibly more common here than in some places abroad. Thus, I would not worry too much about this infection when you travel. To answer your first question, we have several good antibiotics which are effective against MRSA. Some need to be given through an IV and others can be taken by mouth. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for a pre-travel checkup and consultation. It is possible that your travel location will require that you get certain vaccinations or take certain medications prior to going. This way you can be sure to have a healthy vacation.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. James Morgan
    Dr. James Morgan MD
    330 Northgate Drive
    Manteca, CA 95336