ZocdocAnswersIs my slow eyelid motion a result of myasthenia gravis?

Question

Is my slow eyelid motion a result of myasthenia gravis?

I feel as though I'm blinking slower. Does that make sense? I'm a 27 year old swimmer but my eyes feel strange. Is this myasthenia?

Answer

There are many reasons why your blinking could be slower. One of the reasons could be due to Myasthenia gravis. You should discuss this with your doctor. Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune neuromuscular disease that involves the muscles and leads to progressive muscular weakness and fatigability. This disorder is caused by antibodies that bind to the neuromuscular junction and inhibit acetylcholine from binding to the neuromuscular junction. Acetylcholine usually stimulates the cascade that leads to muscular contraction, but when these antibodies bind it can no longer do that. This leads to fatigue and especially worsens throughout the day. Muscles become progressively weaker during the day and with activity. The degree of muscle weakness varies from patient to patient. The signs and symptoms of myasthenia gravis can include weakness of the eyelids that worsens throughout the day, weakness of muscles of the arms, hands, neck and legs. There are different medications that can be used to treat myasthenia including acetylcholinesterase inhibitors and immunosuppressive drugs including steroids. There are other reasons including just fatigue that can lead to weakness of the eyelids. If you are concerned about myasthenia gravis, you should speak with your physician about your symptoms and discuss the different possibilities with them.