ZocdocAnswersHow many types of non-Hodgkin lymphoma exist?

Question

How many types of non-Hodgkin lymphoma exist?

Or is it just the one? My brother has non-Hodgkin lymphoma. I'm trying to learn as much about it so I can keep him healthy.

Answer

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL for short) is a diagnosis of lymphoma that simply designated as not Hodgkin's disease. Thus, NHL is not a specific diagnosis at all. There are many different types of NHL and each carry a different treatment strategy and prognosis. All types of NHL are considered forms of cancer. I will discuss some of the more common types of NHL. 1. Follicular Lymphoma - this is a common type of NHL that is very slow growing. Treatment is often just observation with no chemotherapy. While it is slow growing, it is also very tough to cure. 2. Diffuse large B cell Lymphoma - This is another very common type of NHL. It is faster growing and requires chemotherapy for treatment. The prognosis can be good, and a cure of the disease is possible. 3. Burkitt's Lymphoma - This is a type of lymphoma that is different depending on what part of the world you live in. In the United States, it is an aggressive lymphoma that requires chemotherapy, but has a great response rate and can be cured. I hope this information helps. Because there are many different subtypes of NHL, your brother will need to schedule an appointment with his hematologist/oncologist to discuss his treatment options and what he can expect going forward.