ZocdocAnswersAre there different types of obsessive compulsive disorder?

Question

Are there different types of obsessive compulsive disorder?

I'm 22 and have an eye tick. I need to clean everything. What can I do to get help?

Answer

Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is a type of anxiety disorder in which people have intrusive thoughts and repetitive behaviors. To be diagnosed with OCD, you should see a psychiatrist or a psychologist who can ask you more questions about the behaviors that are concerning you. Some examples of intrusive thoughts are aggressive impulses, believing things around you are contaminated, or excessive worry about harm. Repetitive behaviors might consist of counting things (for example, counting all of the tiles on the floor in a sequential way), flicking a light switch on/off a certain number of times every time you go into a room, or to check and re-check that the doors are locked (not just checking once--checking five or six times)--and feeling compelled to perform these actions. Often, the repetitive behaviors are related to the intrusive thoughts. For example, a patient who is concerned that their environment is dirty (despite other people thinking that it is clean) might feel a need to wash his or her hands multiple times in a row. If you think you might have OCD, I encourage you to speak with your primary care doctor, who can refer you to some psychologists or psychiatrists near you. Both behavioral and medical therapy can be effective treatments for OCD.