Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Where does Osgood-Schlatter disease affect the leg?"


I am a very active 24 year old male. I have a big bump above my shin. Could this be why?


First, I would want to know if the bump about your shin is painful. If not, then this is probably not something you need to worry about. It may be that you have simply bumped your shin in the past and developed a cysts or scarred area at the site.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Primary care-doctors near you

If the bump is moveable and soft, then it may be a cyst growing in the skin. If the bump is hard and feels like bone, it may actually just be a part of your bone. You would need to get it checked out if it was painful or if it was growing or changing. Osgood Schlatter disease is a very common condition caused by strain and overuse that leads to inflammation in the tibial tubercle, which is the bump of bone just below the knee. It is painful, but it generally is self resolving with anti inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen and physical therapy such as stretching and strengthening exercises. Most people with Osgood Schlatter can continue to exercise as long as the pain is not debilitating. However, it is very unlikely that you have Osgood Schlatter, because this almost always occurs in young adolescents (under 15 years of age). Talk to your primary care doctor to help you figure out what could be going on.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.