ZocdocAnswersWhy is pancreatic cancer so painful?

Question

Why is pancreatic cancer so painful?

My father has pancreatic cancer and is constantly in pain. What can I do to help? Is there anything?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that your father is dealing with pancreatic cancer. This can be a difficult diagnosis to cope with, and I hope that you and your family can find the resources you need to deal with it. I would suggest that you start by sharing your concerns and questions with your father's main cancer doctor. Pancreatic cancer is quite painful because the tumors grow right in the middle of the stomach. This means that, not only can they press on nerves that run through there, but they can also interfere with digestion and the functioning of the intestines. This means that pancreatic cancers can cause pain in multiple ways, by invading nerves, by causing blockages in the intestines, and by spreading to other parts of the body as well. Cancer doctors are very good at dealing with the pain and other complications caused by the growing cancer. So it is a good bet that they can help your father adjust his medicines so that he is more comfortable. Depending on your father's prognosis, they may also refer him to a palliative care specialist, who works closely with cancer patients to achieve as much comfort as possible with their condition.