ZocdocAnswersCan paranasal sinusitis happen more than once a year?

Question

Can paranasal sinusitis happen more than once a year?

This is the third time this year. I am a 24 year old male. What is wrong with me?

Answer

The short answer is yes, sinusitis can definitely happen more than once a year. I am very sorry to hear that you are having to deal with so many episodes of sinusitis. At this point, you may want to start thinking about seeing an ENT to evaluate your sinusitis if you aren't already. Sinusitis is a term that means inflammation of the sinuses and can be caused by many different things including bacteria, viruses, and auto-immune diseases (where the body has an immune response against itself). By far the most common cause of sinusitis is viral in aetiology and most viruses tend to run their course in 7-10 days without significant intervention. For this reason, many ENT's will not treat a patient with antibiotics for their sinusitis unless it has been present for about 2 weeks (because antibiotics won't help a viral illness). There are many different reasons why someone may get recurrent sinusitis. The physician needs to determine whether the recurrent episodes are truly bacterial sinusitis first of all, then whether this is recurrent acute sinusitis, vs exacerbation of a chronic sinusitis. There are many different things that they will look for on exam, including anatomic abnormalities and/or inflammatory disease within your nose. This is commonly done using a nasal endoscope with which the ENT will look in your nose during your consult. Since I can't examine you, or take a history from you, I can't give you a great answer about why you are getting sinus infections. I would recommend a consultation with an ENT to get evaluated. Hope this helps.