Do women with PCOS sometimes have missed periods?

My roommate misses periods and I think it may be PCOS. How can I tell her to see a doctor?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a very complex condition that involves many different parts of the endocrine system and reproductive system in women who have it. The syndrome is associated with the development of ovarian cysts which is how it got its name, though they don't usually cause any problems. Probably the most common symptom of PCOS is irregular periods. These irregular periods arise from cycles in which ovulation (the release of an egg from the ovary) does not happen. They can also make it difficult to get pregnant. PCOS is also associated with weight gain, type 2 diabetes, and abnormal hair growth (sometimes facial hair). Not all of these signs need to be present to make the PCOS diagnosis. If you are worried about your roommate's health, then I would suggest that you talk to her about it. Perhaps even show her this answer. She needs to schedule an appointment with her primary care physician or OBGYN. After a thorough interview and physical exam, the doctor will likely be able to tell whether or not she has PCOS. Perhaps there is another reason she is having irregular periods. Depending on the severity of some of the complications of PCOS, she may warrant a referral to an endocrinologist for further work up and treatment. I hope that answer helped.

• Dr. James Morgan
    Dr. James Morgan MD
    330 Northgate Drive
    Manteca, CA 95336
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021