How serious are peanut allergies?

My daughter has a peanut allergy. Can I never use anything that came in contact with peanuts to cook?
Peanut allergy is a type of food allergy that causes an overreaction of the immune system. It affects approximately 0.5% of the population. The severity of symptoms experienced by people with peanut allergy differs greatly. For some, ingestion of peanuts just causes a minor irritation, whereas in some, even a tiny amount of peanut can cause a life-threatening reaction. Symptoms can include any combination of vomiting, diarrhea, hives, swelling of the lips, face, throat and skin, asthma, eczema, and anaphylactic shock which can lead to death if untreated. Symptoms usually begin within minutes to hours of coming in contact with peanuts. Peanut allergy usually requires strict avoidance of all peanut products, including peanut particles and oils. Even if your daughter had only a minor reaction in the past, there is still a risk of a more serious reaction in her future. It is very important to talk to her doctor (usually an allergist) about her allergy and how strict they feel she needs to be regarding her diet. Until then make sure all her food is peanut free and always have medication with you and your daughter in case of an unintentional exposure to peanuts,

Other Allergists