ZocdocAnswersCan peer pressure cause depression?

Question

Can peer pressure cause depression?

I am 32 and bought a time-share due to peer pressure. Now I'm really sad. When will it stop?

Answer

If you made a hasty purchasing decision that you regret, it may be possible that you are feeling sad due to some regret over the decision. However, you should not have felt pressured into doing something that you did not want to do, and that to me sounds like the bigger issue. I would suggest that you discuss this issue with your therapist or your psychologist. It sounds like there may be some self esteem issues or some issues with unhealthy relationships that need to be worked through, and they will be able to help you shed some light on this issue. At the same time, if you are feeling depressed or anxious, you may want to talk to your primary care doctor or your psychiatrist. This is because if there are some mood symptoms of depression or anxiety that are underlying this situation then it might be helpful to have those treated with medications. Your doctors will be able to ask you questions and assess the situation and determine whether any treatment is necessary. In the meantime, if you have any thoughts of harming yourself or ending your life, that would a be very concerning, and you should seek immediate medical help.