Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do STDs cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease?"

ZocdocAnswersDo STDs cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease?


I had gonorrhea once. Could I have it again and now this? I am 31 year old woman.


It is good to see that you are concerned about your sexual health. Generally, I recommend that sexually active people get tested for STDs and HIV once per year, including HIV, gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomonas, and syphilis. These infections may not have obvious symptoms, though at times they can. You should get sooner if you have symptoms such as smelly or discolored (yellow, green or gray) vaginal discharge, pain with vaginal intercourse, sores around your vagina, pelvic pain, or fevers, chills, night sweats, and weight loss. Gonorrhea and chlamydia are the most common STDs to cause pelvic inflammatory disease (abbreviated PID). PID describes an infection that generally starts in the vaginal or cervix (the lower part of the uterus), and then moves upward toward the upper part of the uterus and can move from the fallopian tubes out into the pelvis. Signs of pelvic inflammatory disease include pelvic pain, fever, vaginal discharge, and pain with sexual intercourse. However, other conditions could also cause these symptoms. Therefore, you should see your gynecologist or primary care doctor so that he or she can perform a pelvic exam and blood or urine tests. The pelvic exam is important for two reasons: it allows the doctor to see if your cervix is tender, which is a good indicator of PID, and also to get samples for testing for gonorrhea and chlamydia. There is also a urine test for gonorrhea and chlamydia. Syphilis and HIV are tested with a blood test. You can protect yourself from STDs by using a latex condom EVERY time you have intercourse, and by minimizing the number of sexual partners you have.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.