ZocdocAnswersCan someone with Pelvic Inflammatory Disease show no symptoms?

Question

Can someone with Pelvic Inflammatory Disease show no symptoms?

I am obsessed with my health. I had an STD a while ago. How can I know if I've developed PID? I'm 28 now.

Answer

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is a term used to describe inflammation in the uterus and fallopian tubes. The cause of PID is almost always an infection with the bacteria gonorrhea or chlamydia. PID usually develops after an infection of the cervix with these bacteria. In some cases of gonococcal or chlamydial cervical infection, the symptoms go unrecognized. In these cases, women can progress to PID. The typical symptoms of PID are pelvic pain, pain with sex, fever, and chills. PID can result in scaring of the uterus and fallopian tubes resulting in difficulty getting pregnant. It is possible that in some women, PID symptoms also can go unnoticed. However, PID typically occurs when these infections of the cervix go untreated. Thus if you were diagnosed with gonorrhea or chlamydia, I imagine that you were treated with antibiotics at that time. If this is the case, then PID was most likely prevented from occurring all together. Unfortunately, there is no routine test done to see if you had PID. The best thing for you to do is to use protection with a condom during every sexual encounter and to get regular checkups by your OBGYN. If down the road you have trouble getting pregnant, then a workup can be done to see if there was any damage to your uterus.