ZocdocAnswersDoes plantar fasciitis cause heel problems?

Question

Does plantar fasciitis cause heel problems?

My whole foot is hurting a lot. I am a runner and this is a big problem. Currently 25. Please help.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that this is going on. I strongly suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor to help you figure out what is going on. Although plantar fasciitis is probably the most likely possibility, given the fact that you are an avid runner, your primary care doctor may want to make sure the pain is not from a small fracture of one of the bones in your foot, and they may order an X-ray for this purpose. Assuming that you do not have a fracture, then plantar fasciitis is likely. This is an inflammation of the tissue near the heel bone on the sole of the foot caused by strain and repetitive use (say, from running). Plantar fasciitis will usually improve with rest (no running) as well as be wearing shoes with good arch support (this often requires purchasing arch inserts for your shoes). Additionally, anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naprosyn may be of some use. Finally, there are multiple stretching and strengthening exercises which can improve symptoms if you do them consistently over a period of weeks to months; your primary care doctor can give you a list of recommended exercises.