Is there a link between diabetes and plantar fasciitis?

I am a 29 year old diabetic male. Now my foot hurts a lot. Should I use different shoes?
I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with foot pain. I highly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible, because foot pain in patients with diabetes can be a serious medical problem. Over time, diabetes damages the nerves in the body. This leads to numbness or tingling or other strange sensations that usually start in the feet. This neuropathy, as it is called, can be very uncomfortable in some patients, and it may require treatment. Alternatively, the fact that some diabetics have numbness in the feet leads them to develop sores on the feet that they do not feel. This is very serious, as these sores may enlarge into ulcers or may quickly become infected. Because diabetics are not able to fight off infections as well as nondiabetics, these have to be taken quite seriously. Of course it is also possible that you have a foot problem that is unrelated to your diabetes (such as a strain or sprain, or plantar fasciitis). However it is imperative that first you be evaluated by your doctor to make sure there is not a more serious complication that might need immediate identification and treatment.

• Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Iosif Goldman
    Dr. Iosif Goldman DO
    7 Auer Ct
    East Brunswick, NJ 08816