Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"How can I treat a post nasal drip?"


Will a neti pot help? I am 28 and it's really awkward when a girl stays over.


The short answer to your question is that a netty pot might help, but it depends on what is actually going on. If used correctly (follow the instructions on the package) it shouldn't hurt. The term post nasal drip is used routinely by patients to describe many different symptoms including the mucous drainage that they feel in the back of their throat, chronic throat clearing, globus (the sensation that there is something stuck in their throat), hoarseness, and chronic sore throat.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Ear nose-throat-doctors near you

As you can imagine, there are a myriad of different medical problems that can result in one or more of these symptoms. If on exam a patient is found to have chronic rhinosinusitis that is resulting in drainage and irritation, the treatment may include antibiotics, steroid therapy (topical or systemic), and/or surgical intervention. If a patient is found to have allergic rhinitis, the therapy may include nasal saline irrigation (netty pot) and antihistamines +/- steroids. If a patient is found to have reflux problems on laryngeal examination, the treatment modalities are completely different altogether. Thus I would recommend a consultation with an ENT (ears nose throat) physician to get a thorough work-up. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.