How can I treat a post nasal drip?

Will a neti pot help? I am 28 and it's really awkward when a girl stays over.
The short answer to your question is that a netty pot might help, but it depends on what is actually going on. If used correctly (follow the instructions on the package) it shouldn't hurt. The term post nasal drip is used routinely by patients to describe many different symptoms including the mucous drainage that they feel in the back of their throat, chronic throat clearing, globus (the sensation that there is something stuck in their throat), hoarseness, and chronic sore throat. As you can imagine, there are a myriad of different medical problems that can result in one or more of these symptoms. If on exam a patient is found to have chronic rhinosinusitis that is resulting in drainage and irritation, the treatment may include antibiotics, steroid therapy (topical or systemic), and/or surgical intervention. If a patient is found to have allergic rhinitis, the therapy may include nasal saline irrigation (netty pot) and antihistamines +/- steroids. If a patient is found to have reflux problems on laryngeal examination, the treatment modalities are completely different altogether. Thus I would recommend a consultation with an ENT (ears nose throat) physician to get a thorough work-up. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

• Dr. John Austin
    Dr. John Austin MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    7200 Wyoming Springs Drive
    Round Rock, TX 78681
  • Dr. Patricia Gilroy
    Dr. Patricia Gilroy MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2299 9th Ave N
    Saint Petersburg, FL 33713
  • Dr. Bradley Johnson
    Dr. Bradley Johnson DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3366 Oakdale Ave N
    Robbinsdale, MN 55422