ZocdocAnswersHow long does postpartum depression last?

Question

How long does postpartum depression last?

I had my child two months ago and I still feel depressed. I am about 30. Shouldn't this have stopped by now?

Answer

Postpartum depression is a very difficult trial that many women have to address in the early stages after the arrival of their baby. It is especially troubling because of how it can not only affect the health of the mother, but also the health of the baby. If you are still having symptoms of postpartum depression 2 months after giving birth, you should speak to your primary care doctor or to your obstetrician/midwife. For most people, the symptoms should have improved or resolved within the first 2 weeks rather than months. While there is no definitive cause for the disorder, it is obvious that those with a history of depression or a family history of depression are more likely to suffer from depression in the postpartum period. The first steps involved in addressing the condition are to become aware of what it is and what to expect. Your doctor can help you with this, and also give you a test and ask some questions to confirm that you are having depression. Then, there are multiple levels of therapy that can be used to help you feel prepared to face the challenge of taking care of a new baby, and also taking care of yourself. Please see your doctor.