ZocdocAnswersCan pre-menstrual symptoms cause cramps?

Question

Can pre-menstrual symptoms cause cramps?

Before my period I get crammps. Why is this? I get them on my period too and Im 23.

Answer

The premenstrual syndrome is a loose collection of symptoms that are experienced in one way or another by most women just before their menstrual periods. Symptoms can include cramping, abdominal pain, breast tenderness, bloating, headache, mood swings, and fatigue, among others. Having premenstrual symptoms does not mean that you have a serious medical problem, as they are quite common. However, there are some things you can do about them. First, make sure that you are engaging in regular aerobic exercise. This can help to relieve the cramps and stress. Also make sure to eat balanced, nutritional meals, especially trying to avoid caffeine, alcohol, and salty or processed foods all of which can make the mood symptoms, bloating, and cramping worse. If this does not work, you can consider trying an anti inflammatory medicine like ibuprofen or naprosyn. Usually this can relieve both premenstrual and menstrual cramps if it is take regularly for a few days before and during the period. Other options available to you include taking an oral contraceptive pill. This works by regularizing hormonal swings with menstruation, which can greatly improve symptoms. Talk to your OB GYN doctor or your primary care doctor to see what other options are right for you.