What should a person in a prediabetic state do?

My blood levels are pretty high but not too high yet. How can I lower them. I am trying to walk a lot more. Will this help? I am 48.
Prediabetes is a very common condition. Also known as "impaired glucose tolerance," this is a concerning condition. I would recommend that you discuss this with your primary care doctor to address this situation. Prediabetes is a condition in which patients are at risk for progression to frank diabetes. Firstly, it is known that people with prediabetes are at themselves not at increased risk for complications of diabetes -- it is simply their risk for progression to diabetes. It is diagnosed either with the random glucose level, or more commonly now with the glycosylated hemoglobin level, or hemoglobin A1c. As for what to do, it is important to aggressively treat prediabetes to avoid progression to diabetes. The most important factor is weight. The best way to treat diabtes is to drop some weight -- diet and exercise are very important factors for this. As you age, this become more difficult, so working with your primary care doctor and potentially a dietician will be important. There are some people who think that starting diabetes medicines (like metformin) for people with prediabetes can help -- but the data do not support this and currently we do not recommend starting medicine. The other important consideration is to have close follow up to ensure you do not progress to real diabetes. Talk to your doctor. Weight loss is now very important for your health. Good luck!

Nearby Dietitians

• Virginia Dweck
    Virginia Dweck CDN, MS, RD
    Dietitian
    38 East 32nd Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Liz Carrara
    Liz Carrara CDN, MS, RDN
    Dietitian
    116 West 23rd St
    New York, NY 10011
  • Lauren Minchen
    Lauren Minchen CDN, RD
    Dietitian
    280 Madison Avenue
    New York, NY 10016

Other Dietitians

• Alexis Beck
    Alexis Beck MPH, RD
    Dietitian
    1051 Beacon Street
    Brookline, MA 02446
  • Deborah Jeffery
    Deborah Jeffery RD
    Dietitian
    1800 Michael Faraday Drive
    Reston, VA 20190