ZocdocAnswersIs Prednisone more effective as a tablet or liquid?

Question

Is Prednisone more effective as a tablet or liquid?

Is it the same? I don't want to waste my time.

Answer

Prednisone is a type of steroid medication. It has strong anti inflammatory action and consequently it is often used as part of the treatment for a wide variety of conditions that have inflammation as part of their presentation. This include skin inflammation, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and many other conditions. Prednisone is a very common medication, and it is usually tolerated very well without harmful side effects. It is available in both liquid and tablet form. There is absolutely no difference in terms of effectiveness or side effects between the liquid and the tablet form. The only reason to choose one over the other is if you have difficulty swallowing tablets. For this reason, the liquid form of prednisone is most commonly used in smaller children who cannot swallow tablets, whereas most adults can and so the tablet form is typically prescribed for them. But, at the end of the day, there is no significant difference between the two forms. Talk to your primary care doctor or the doctor who prescribed the medication if you have other questions. As always, remember that it is important to take the prednisone, and all other prescription medications, exactly as directed and for the full number of days prescribed.