Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

How does Prednisone better my immune system?

It is supposed to help me right? How does it do this? How soon will I start to feel better? I am a 35-year-old male.
I would say that prednisone does the opposite of better the immune system. However, it can definitely make you feel better, depending on what you are taking it for. I will explain. Prednisone is a steroid medication that mimics the effects of cortisone (a naturally made steroid in the body). Prednisone is used to treat inflammation and diseases that cause inflammation in the body. For example, prednisone is used to reduce the inflammation in the lungs of people with asthma. It is also used to treat severe allergic reactions. In these types of conditions (and many more), prednisone can make people feel a lot better. The reason that prednisone works so well to reduce inflammation is that it is a very good inhibitor of the immune system. We use it when the immune system is being too active in a certain area and needs calmed down. Of course one problem that sometimes occurs with prednisone if it is used at doses that are too high or used for durations that are too long is that it can leave the body exposed to infection. This is because the immune system is being inhibited. Make sure that you have a close follow up appointment with the physician that prescribed you the prednisone. You want to make sure that you are taking the medication as prescribed and that your duration of treatment is not too long. Good luck.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!