ZocdocAnswersHow long are pregnancies painful to the back?

Question

How long are pregnancies painful to the back?

Ever since very early my back has hurt. Pregnancy made it worse from the start. When will back pain go away?

Answer

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope that otherwise things are going well with the pregnancy. As always, make sure to discuss any symptoms that you have with your OB GYN doctor and, especially, do not take any medications unless they have been approved by your doctor as many medications, even common over the counter medications, should not be taken during pregnancy. Back pain is very common during pregnancy. Most of the time this is due to a combination of the pressure produced in the pelvis by the growing uterus and baby inside it and the compensation in posture that most pregnant women adopt because of their growing abdomens (most pregnant women lean back slightly when they walk which can strain the back). Generally this pain will respond to rest, stretching, massage, and working to correct your posture as able. Unfortunately, the pain may not go away completely until after the pregnancy is over. It is important to make sure there is not another more serious cause of the back pain, especially if the pain is very severe or worsening or if there is associated fever or chills. Urinary tract infections, for example, can sometimes cause back pain. Talk to your OB GYN doctor.