ZocdocAnswersUntil what stage can I abort a pregnancy?

Question

Until what stage can I abort a pregnancy?

I am a 28 year old woman and the man who mde me pregnant left me. I don't want his kid anymore. I am 16 weeks in. Can I still have an abortion?

Answer

Abortion is a sensitive subject given its legal, moral and ethical issues. Fundamentally, it depends on your state law as well as your own personal beliefs. I would recommend that you talk with your doctor or your OB/GYN as soon as possible. Time is an issue with regards to your abortion feasibility and your options. An abortion can be done technically anytime until the fetus is delivered. Legally, states vary regarding their laws, but in general abortion is legal until 24 weeks. This is because before 24 weeks the fetus is not viable, that is that the fetus if taken out would not be able to live. Beyond 24 weeks, the fetus, while premature, may be able to survive. Your options of how your abortion will take place also depend on gestational age. Talk to your OB GYN for more information regarding possible procedures or medicines. There are many considerations and you must ultimately make a difficult decision. I would recommend talking to an OB/GYN soon so you can have all the information to make an informed decision.