ZocdocAnswersWhat are a few pregnancy symptoms to look out for?

Question

What are a few pregnancy symptoms to look out for?

I have been vomiting in the mornings a lot. Could this be pregnancy or just drinking too much the night before. I am 21.

Answer

I am concerned about the fact that you think you may be drinking too much. If you are drinking significantly every night, such that you even think that this could be the cause of your vomiting, then this sounds like it could be a significant amount of alcohol intake. If so, you definitely need to talk to your primary care doctor or your therapist about this consumption, which could be very damaging to your health. Excessive alcohol consumption can cause vomiting both from producing typical 'hangover' symptoms and also by irritating the lining of the stomach (this is called gastritis) which can produce abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Pregnancy is also characterized early on by lots of early morning nausea. Other symptoms would include fatigue, swelling or tenderness of the breasts, feeling like you have to urinate frequently, increased appetite, and delay in seeing your period. If you think you might be pregnant, you should definitely stop drinking all together, as alcohol is very dangerous for the developing baby. You can also set up an appointment with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor to have a pregnancy test done.