ZocdocAnswersCan I trust a home pregnancy test or should I see a doctor?

Question

Can I trust a home pregnancy test or should I see a doctor?

I used two home pregnancy tests and they said I wasn't pregnant but I feel like I am. I am 29 and maybe should go see a doc?

Answer

The answer to this question depends on a few factors. First, the accuracy of the home pregnancy test depends on when you took it. If you took it a few days after having intercourse, then it would not have become positive whether you are pregnant or not. The test requires that you wait until about 2 weeks after conception for it to detect a pregnancy. The home pregnancy tests detect the hormone HCG, which is secreted by the new fetus and its placenta. The HCG then ends up in the woman's urine for the pregnancy test to detect. Most pregnancy tests require that you use the first urine you produce of the day which is usually the most concentrated. If you have used the test properly, and you have taken it more than 2 weeks after you had sex, then it is unlikely that you are pregnant. These tests have a very high sensitivity and thus, a negative test makes pregnancy unlikely. Since you still feel that you may be pregnant, then I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can perform another urine pregnancy test. This way you can be sure that it is being taken properly. If you are pregnant, then you will need to schedule an appointment with your OBGYN for a pregnancy consultation.