ZocdocAnswersHow can I tell if I'm pregnant?

Question

How can I tell if I'm pregnant?

I am 24. I might be pregnant. When will I start to show? Will I know before?

Answer

If you think that you may be pregnant, then you should take a pregnancy test. Pregnancy tests can be given by your doctor, or you can buy a home pregnancy test at the grocery store. Initial tests require a sample of urine, preferably from your first urination of the day. The tests are very sensitive and rarely miss a pregnancy that is more than 2 weeks after conception. These test detect a hormone called beta HCG. This hormone is only secreted by a growing fetus or embryo. This should be your first step. It is very important that you do not wait till you start showing. There are vitamins that you need to start taking if you are pregnant to prevent birth defects. In addition, there is much more education you will need about how to have a healthy pregnancy. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can administer a test if you do not have access to a home pregnancy test. If it is positive, you will need to get a prescription for prenatal vitamins (which can also be picked up over the counter at a pharmacy). Plus, you will then need to schedule an appointment with an OBGYN. Good luck.