ZocdocAnswersHow common are premature births?

Question

How common are premature births?

I know it's not true but I feel like I'm the only woman who ever had one. It's so isolating. I can't even hold my little girl.

Answer

First of all, congratulations on having a baby girl! Even though it is very stressful to have a premature baby in the neonatal intensive care unit, it is still important to think about the good news of having a baby. I am certain that the staff of the neonatal intensive care unit where your daughter is currently being taken care of are doing everything they possibly can to make sure that your baby has a good chance of doing well and having minimal complications from being born early. One important thing for you to remember is that the staff of the neonatal care unit are there in part to answer your questions and keep you informed. Most neonatal intensive care units have a policy of allowing parents access to the unit at all hours of day and night. This way you can spend as much time with your baby as possible, even though you may not be able to hold them right now. Additionally, you should ask the staff there about pumping breast milk, because many premature babies can take the mother's breast milk, and this gives you another important way to take care of your baby at this time.