What type of prenatal care should I seek?

Will my primary physician be enough or should I get information from different sources?
This is a great question as prenatal care is extremely important to the health of you and your baby. Prenatal care is the health care that you get while you are pregnant. Getting early and regular prenatal care can help detect and treat problems early. Babies of mothers who do not seek prenatal care have a higher risk of low birth weight and even death. There are several types of health care professionals who can treat pregnant women and deliver babies. These include obstetricians (also known as OBGYNs), family physicians, and mid-wives. It is important to do some research to see which kind of health care providers are available in your area and which you think would be the best fit for you. If you have a certain hospital where you know you want to deliver then it is important to pick a health care provider who has privileges at that hospital. Or you may opt for a home birth in which case that is necessary. An important question to ask your potential provider include what his or her call schedule is like (most providers have partners that they rotate with so there is a chance your provider might not deliver your baby). Pregnancy is an exciting but occasionally overwhelming nine months so it is important to have a health care provider you can trust.