ZocdocAnswersDoes Doryx for acne have any side effects that one should be cautious of?

Question

Does Doryx for acne have any side effects that one should be cautious of?

Pills that I was given by my doctor for my acne.. But im not sure if i should take them or not?

Answer

Doxycycline (Doryx) is an excellent antibiotic medication that is often used as a mainstay of treating more severe or persistent acne. It is generally safe and well tolerated by most patients, but there are a few common side effects to look out for. The most common side effect form Doryx is stomach upset (nausea, mostly). This occurs in a large percentage of patients, but it can usually be managed by always remembering to take the medication with food. The other very common side effect of Doryx is photosensitivity, meaning it makes the skin very sensitive to sunlight and very predisposed to burning. Therefore, most people, especially people with pale complexions, who are taking Doryx should make sure to wear sunscreen on exposed body areas whenever out in the sun. It may also be necessary to wear a hat for shading of the face when in direct sunlight. There are a few rare side effects from Doryx that should be watched out for. One of these is a condition called pseudotumor cerebri, which is characterized by severe headaches, blurred vision, and dizziness. This is a serious condition, and if you have any symptoms that look like this you will need to see your doctor immediately.