ZocdocAnswersWhat could be wrong with my period?

Question

What could be wrong with my period?

I am 20 years old. I have had normal periods up until 3-4 yrs ago. The all of a sudden my period stop for months @ a time, & then i menstruated for 30 days straight with a heavy to normal flow. I saw a obgyn they prescribed me w/ birthcontrol. I was on it for about 2 years but had to stop bc because of the 4, I could no longer pay for it. My period went back to be irregular, this time i menstruated for 4 weeks, I went to another obgyn, and they gave me progesterone pills to hopefully stop my bleeding. The progesterone did nothing, i continued to bleed, and saw no apparent change in bleeding. my next visit w? my obgyn & the gave me a pap. He said it was bc my body doesnt make enough progesterone. ANd the only other solution that any1 has given me is to put me back on birrth control. Im confused, if its bc of progesterone, then why did the pill PROGESTERONE pill he gave me not stop my bleeding. I do not have insurance so my time & doctors visits are valuable. I am at a cross road. I am on 20 years old and i would rather get a surgery to never have periods or children, than deal w/ this any longer.

Answer

It is not possible to say definitively without knowing a bit more about your symptoms and history, but it sound most likely you have a condition known as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). This is a very common condition that many women suffer from. Basically, the condition is characterized by an imbalance in the hormones in your body that regulate the menstrual cycle. One of the many effects of this is that the ovaries do not produce sufficient progesterone, so ovulation does not regularly occur. This leads to very irregular periods, often months apart. Because the progesterone is also required for causing sloughing of the uterine lining with menstruation, this continues to build up until it finally is so thick that it has to break down, causing prolonged and irregular bleeding. Progesterone pills taken once you were already bleeding would not have stopped the bleeding immediately, rather they would have shortened the over all time that you would have bled. PCOS can be treated, most always initially with a birth control pill. This is an excellent treatment for PCOS and works almost all of the time. Another thing that can help include weight loss if you are overweight. Talk to your OB GYN doctor if you have more questions.